Everyday there's new updates and exciting and innovative announcements about AI. It's a full-time job just to keep up with it. And like we've seen over the last weekend, it's not without controversy. Let's take a look at some of the big announcements over the just the last thirty days.
- Executive Order on the Safe, Secure, and Trustworthy Development and Use of Artificial Intelligence. This Executive Order (EO) signed by President Biden, addresses the potential and challenges of AI. It outlines the U.S. government's approach to AI development and use, focusing on safety, responsibility, and adhering to principles that reflect the nation's values and society's needs, addressing those principles by implementing more governance, monitoring, and control of AI technologies by the government.
- Google expands Anthropic partnership after Microsoft and Oracle detail AI collaboration: Google announced that it is expanding its partnership with Anthropic, a startup developing AI safety research, following Microsoft and Oracle's recent announcements of their own AI partnerships. Google and Anthropic will work together to develop new AI safety technologies.
- ChatGPT Suffers A DDoS Attack – DTH: DTH, a cybersecurity firm, reported that ChatGPT suffered a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. The attack caused ChatGPT to be unavailable for several hours.
- Amazon's Push into Generative AI with Custom AWS Chips: Amazon is accelerating its efforts in the generative AI space by developing two types of custom microchips, Inferentia and Trainium, at its Austin, Texas, facility. These chips offer an alternative to Nvidia GPUs, which are increasingly hard and expensive to procure. This move signifies Amazon's attempt to catch up in the booming generative AI market, where competitors like Microsoft and Google have already made significant strides.
- Microsoft hires Sam Altman, former OpenAI CEO: Microsoft announced that it has hired Sam Altman, the former CEO of OpenAI, to lead a new advanced AI team. Altman will be responsible for developing new AI products and services for Microsoft.
🔥 The Spicy Sauce
“In our business, we talk about emerging technologies and how they impact society. We’ve never seen a technology move as fast as AI has to impact society and technology. This is by far the fastest moving technology that we’ve ever tracked in terms of its impact and we’re just getting started.” - Paul Daugherty, chief technology and innovation officer, Accenture
Open Source Events
📆 Open Core Summit December 6-7 | San Francisco, CA
The world’s largest gathering across the burgeoning COSS (commercial open-source software) community.
📣 Call for Proposals: Creative Freedom Summit 2024
Artists, designers, and makers: we invite you to propose sessions for the January 2024 edition of the Creative Freedom Summit! Be a part of this virtual conference dedicated solely to the features and benefits of Open Source creative tools, and share the joy of creative freedom with the world.
What's cooking in the OpenSauced community
Fresh out of the Oven
📋 Our Maintainers Guide to OpenSauced launched last week!
💹 To check out how we used OpenSauced in October, check out our Hacktoberfest Success Story blog post.
🌟 We recently launched our filtering for the Lists feature. Now you can check out contributors' history over the last 7, 30, or 90 days!Lists Filtering Feature
Recipes for Success
Check out this content from our team and community!
→ 📖 The Need for Recognition in Open Source. By highlighting diverse contributions and fostering a culture of recognition, we can inspire both current and future generations of developers and collaborators.
→ 📖 Boost productivity with the GitHub CLI. The GitHub CLI is an indispensable tool as a project maintainer or contributor on GitHub. It can boost your productivity when getting things done.
📽 First Docker then Dagger: Solomon Hykes' Revolution through DevOps
📆 OpenSauced Weekly Chat, Every Tuesday in Discord, 12p EDT. All things open source chat. Let us know what questions you have, what you're working on, and how we can support you!
🎤 Open Source Hour, Twitter Space | Tuesday, Nov 28 10:30a ET | 7:30a PT with BekahHW talking to Tanner Linsley about his open source journey.
We'd love to feature your highlight in our next newsletter, so get to sharing!
Stay saucy and tell a friend about this newsletter.